Ministry of Finance recently released its ‘ Monthly Economic Review ’ report. In the report, Ministry has highlighted that, Fiscal deficiency and Current Account Deficit( CAD) are two key areas of concern for the Indian economy.
Findings of the report
- Monthly Economic Review report noted that, Fiscal deficit has increased, possibly due to cuts in excise duties on petrol and diesel.
- Oil prices have surged due to ongoing Russia- Ukraine crisis. It has led to deterioration in current account deficiency because of advanced oil painting import bill.
- As per report, India will continue to be the fastest growing economy in 2022- 23, among major countries.
- India, unlike other countries, is at low risk of Stagflation because of its prudent stabilization policies.
- Rupee can weaken if foreign portfolio investors( FPI) continue to pull out money from Indian markets, considering the higher interest rates in western economies especially the US. It’ll hurt rupee and further increase CAD.
Effect of Twin Deficit
Twin deficit will have no effect in short term; still, it may reduce the savings in long term. It might lead to depreciation in the rupee and imbalance in financial investments of government for social purposes.
What is Fiscal Deficit?
The shortfall in a government’s income, as compared to its spending, is called the fiscal deficit. It is amount of money, that is borrowed by government to fill the gap between its revenues and expenditures in any financial year. If the fiscal deficit is high, it means, government takes the investible funds in market for itself, which otherwise could have been used by private sector for investment needs.
What is Current Account Deficit?
When the total value of goods and services imported by a country becomes higher than total value of goods and services it exports, it is called as Current Account Deficit (CAD). Widening CAD is responsible for weakening to domestic currency, because CAD means more foreign currencies or dollars are in demand as compared to domestic currency (or rupees).
AIHM&AN conducts MCC, F&B conducts final exam, readies itself for placement drive
To open new horiazons for youths in hotel and hospitality sector and make them economically reliant, the Amazon Institute of Hotel management and Applied Nutrition (AIHM&AN) on Tuesday conducted the final examination of students undergoing Multi Cuisine...
NEP 2020: Study materials till Class 5 to be provided in 22 Indian languages, says Pradhan
NEW DELHI: The government will provide study materials to the students till Class 5 in 22 Indian languages as the National Education Policy, NEP 2020 places a special emphasis on the mother tongue, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said on Tuesday."We...
APSC to begin applictaion process for Research Assistant posts from March 29 | Competitive Exams
Assam Public Service Commission (APSC) has invited online applications from eligible candidates for recruitment to the post of Research Assistant in Planning Services under the Transformation and Development Department under ADVT. NO. 03/2023. The applictaion...