Scientists have discovered a giant white bacterium named “ Thiomargarita magnifica Bacteria ” on rotting leaves in saline waters of red mangrove swamp in Guadeloupe in Lesser Antilles.
How is this bacterium different?
- The average bacterium is commonly between 04 and 3 μm3 in volume. therefore, it’s only visible with important compound microscope, that use multiple objective lenses.
- These lenses can be switched between for increasing the exaggeration situations. Until the latest discovery, bacteria were considered microbial or microscopic organisms.
- Discovery of Thiomargarita Magnifica, defies all the stereotypical delineations by being visible to the naked eye.
Features of Thiomargarita Magnifica
- It’s 1 cm in length. This discovery will help in working the mystification of which factors determine size of a cell.
- Before discovered giant bacteria are made of hundreds of thousands of cells. But Thiomargarita Magnifica is composed of single bacterial cell. It’s roughly equal to the size of a human eyelash.
- It’s the largest bacteria, discovered so far.
- It’s around,000 times larger than most bacteria.
- It has been named Thiomargarita Magnifica, because of its size and the presence of pearl-like beads of sulphur inside the cell.
At a time when museums thought that the works of Progressive Artists should be hung in toilets, mercurial entrepreneur Kekoo Gandhy believed in modern Indian art. He and his wife Khorshed went on to set up Gallery Chemould. Jerry Pinto’s Citizen Gallery is a...
National Institute of Open Schooling has released NIOS Board Exams 2023 schedule. The Class 10, 12 registration have already started and candidates who will appear for the examination to be conducted in April- May 2023 can check the schedule on the official...
Amid the ongoing friction between the Centre and the judiciary on the issue of appointment of judges, the Supreme Court on Thursday told the Centre that collegium system is the "law of the land", which should be followed. And, referring to...