Recently, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released the Report on Currency and Finance (RCF) for the year 2021-22.
What is the theme of the report?
The theme of the report is “Revive and Reconstruct” in the context of nurturing a durable recovery post-COVID and raising trend growth in the medium term.
What is the impact of the covid pandemic on the economy according to the report?
- According to the report, the Indian economy is likely to take over 12 years to overcome the COVID-19 losses.
- Taking the actual growth rate of (-) 6.6% for 2020-21, 8.9% for 2021-22, and assuming a growth rate of 7.2% for 2022-23, and 7.5% beyond that, India is expected to overcome COVID-19 losses in 2034-35.
- The supply constraints and longer delivery times pushed up shipping costs, and commodity prices, thereby intensifying inflationary pressures and threatening the nascent economic recovery across the world.
What are the other observations of the report?
- The report states that for the country to hop on to a strong and sustainable growth path, price stability is a necessary precondition.
- Reducing general government debt to below 66% of GDP over the next five years is important to secure India’s medium-term growth prospects.
- The report emphasized providing opportunities for entrepreneurs and businesses.
- India’s free trade agreement (FTA) negotiations should focus on the transfer of technology and better trade terms for high-quality imports from partner countries.
- The report says that the task is to create a virtuous cycle of greater opportunity for entrepreneurs, businesses, and the fiscal authority.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has ended the Bharatiya Janata Party’s 15-year term at the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), winning 134 of the 250 seats. In the interim, Delhi was divided under three Municipal Councils and later merged again. There were multiple...
The Reserve Bank of India’s latest policy statement has unequivocally acknowledged that price stability must remain the primary focus of monetary policy now when, as Governor Shaktikanta Das admitted, “the CPI price momentum remains high”. Elucidating the...
Due to divergence of opinion amongst the various stakeholders, there is no proposal "at this juncture" to bring an All-India Judicial Service to select judges of lower courts, the government said in Lok Sabha on Friday. The government has been...