P V Sindhu won the Swiss Open 2022 defeating Busanan Ongbamrungphan of Thailand in the tests of the Swiss Open Super 300 badminton tournament held in Basel, Switzerland.
- This is her second title this season as she had earlier in January won the Syed Modi India International.
- She’s the alternate Indian woman to win this event, following Saina Nehwal who had earlier won in 2011 and 2012.
- PV Sindhu is a two times Olympics medal winner having won the silver in the 2016 Rio Olympics and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- This is her second finals appearance in the Swiss Open, having been defeated by Carolina Marin in 2021.
- These back-to-back wins (Syed Modi India and Swiss Open) will boost her confidence ahead of the upcoming Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, and the world championships.
HS Prannoy reached the finals in the Men’s Singles format of this tournament and was defeated by Jonatan Christie of Indonesia who’s also the Asian Games champion. HS Prannoy appeared in a final for the first time in five years. In 2016 he’d won the gold medal in this tournament defeating He Bingjiao of China. In the 2017 US Open Prannoy had last won a title.
A new drug, lecanemab, has been found to slow down cognitive decline in Alzheimer's patients, according to a study that could lead to new treatments for the neurodegenerative disease. The study results were presented at the 15th Clinical Trials...
The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike’s decision to cancel permission provided to an NGO, Chilume Educational Cultural and Rural Development Trust, to conduct a house-to-house survey to enhance voter awareness, was a belated but necessary one. BBMP, the...
The Covid-19 pandemic was an "extraordinary revelatory moment" in the history of India when the elements of inequalities in the society were laid bare, columnist and writer P Sainath said on Wednesday. Sainath said even though the inequalities...