The State Energy and Climate Index (SECI) has been launched by NITI Aayog. It is a first-of-its-kind index that aims to track the efforts made in the energy and climate sector by the states and UTs of India. This index’s parameters have been devised while keeping in mind the country’s goals regarding clean energy transition and climate change.
- This index has ranked the states and the UTs of India based on the efforts they have put towards improving energy consumption, energy access, safeguarding the environment, and energy efficiency.
- This index has also helped to move toward the agenda of the accessible, affordable, clean, and efficient energy transition at the State level.
- This index has also encouraged healthy competition among the states and UTs of the nation in different fields of climate and energy.
Parameters of the Index
Six parameters have been used by this index that are:
- Access Affordability and Reliability of Energy
- Discoms’ (Power distribution companies) Performance
- Energy Efficiency
- Clean Energy Initiatives
- New Initiatives
- Environmental Sustainability
These parameters have been further divided into 27 indicators. Based on SECI Round I’s composite score the states and UTs of the country have been ranked as smaller states, larger states, and UTs, based on geographical differences and size. The States and the UTs have been categorized into three groups i.e. Achievers, Front Runners, and Aspirants.
Top 3 performers among the larger states
Top 3 performers among the smaller states
Top 3 performers among UTs
- Daman & Diu/Dadra & Nagar Haveli
Unsatisfactory Performance among the larger states
The states like Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and Jharkhand were placed at the bottom of this index.
Before the start of the Winter Session of the Parliament, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said that India receiving the G20 Presidency is a huge opportunity. Addressing media persons before the start of the first day of the Winter...
UPSC Mains Result: The Union Public Service Commission has declared the result for UPSC Mains 2022. Candidates who took the exam can check their result on the official website at upsc.gov.in. UPSC Mains exam was conducted between September 16 and September 25,...
Maharashtra state road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) has suspended its bus services to Karnataka in wake of an alert from the police, on Wednesday. The State Transport Department confirmed that this has been done after a security alert from the...