Digantara, a Bengaluru (Karnataka)-based space sector start-up, will establish India’s first private Space Situational Awareness (SSA) observatory in Garhwal, Uttarakhand, to track objects as small as 10 centimeters (cm) in size orbiting the Earth.
- Digantara has signed an agreement with the Uttarakhand Government in this regard.
- This regional first-of-its-kind commercial SSA observatory will assist India in monitoring all space activity, including that of military satellites orbiting the region and space debris.
- The United States (US) is currently a dominating actor in monitoring space debris, with observatories in numerous locations and commercial companies contributing additional input from across the world.
This will lead to the formation of a hybrid data pool that will serve both the commercial and the defence sectors of the space industry, improving the efficiency of tracking and detecting pre-existing Resident Space Objects (RSO).
- Digantara will be able to support its space-based sensors in their mission to monitor satellites and debris in orbits spanning from Low Earth Orbit (LEO) to Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO) with the establishment of the observatory.
- Since there are no similar facilities between Australia and Southern Africa, the observatory will bridge a disparity in SSA observations in the region.
- It will minimize the risk of collisions between satellites and other spacecraft by providing more precise estimates of their location, speed, and trajectory.
- The observatory would also give India with indigenous monitoring capabilities over the subcontinent.
Digantara received USD 2.5 million in seed funding from Kalaari Capital in 2021 to develop and strengthen its capabilities.
In June 2022, Digantara launched the “world’s first commercial space-based space weather instrument,” “ROBI (ROBust Integrating proton fluence metre)” onboard the PSLV-CS53 Mission of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India has released ICAI CA Foundation December Admit Card 2022. Candidates who will appear for Foundation course examination in December can download the admit card through the official site of ICAI at icai.org. The...
In an embarrassment for BJP in Gujarat ahead of the Assembly elections, a candidate allegedly said liquor can be sold openly, leading to the registration of a First Information Report (FIR) against him for indulging in "corrupt practices". ...
Medical Counselling Committee has released MCC NEET UG 2022 Counselling NRI list. The NRI list has been released for eligible candidates for mop up round. Candidates can check the list through the official site of MCC at mcc.nic.in.As per the list, a total of...