Department of Biotechnology has released a draft foresight paper on synthetic biology. In its paper, department has stressed on the need for a national policy to consolidate India’s stage on the issue.
What’s Synthetic Biology?
Synthetic Biology refers to “ science of using genetic sequencing, modification and editing, in order to create unnatural organisms or organic molecules which can function in living systems. Synthetic biology helps the scientists in designing and synthesising new sequences of DNA from scrape.
- This 70- page document also notes that, India should avoid conflicting stands on science and policy.
- It looks not only at global policies and protocols that must be refer to develop such a policy but also defines synthetic biology and how intellectual property rights will be applicable in performing processes and products.
- The paper was developed through a consultative process with experts from several organisations,non-profit organisations, and some people from the assiduity.
- It’ll help in creating a national policy.
Application of Synthetic biology
Synthetic biology finds its applications across various fields,viz.,
- Developing synthetic organisms for vaccination.
- Creating natural products in a lab like vanillin, which is the organic compound extracted from vanilla seeds. These seeds can be grown in yeasts with additional plant genomes.
- In pharmaceutical industry, synthetic biology can be used for make natural composites like artemisinin and Auto T cell therapy. Artemisinin is used to treatment of malaria while Car T cell therapy is used to treat cancer.
- It’ll be used in fashion assiduity as well. Some companies are looking after the possibility of dyeing jeans without producing dangerous waste.
- Companies are also using it to deliver fixed nitrogen to shops rather of fertilisers and engineering microbes for creating food complements or pop proteins.
From the outside, it looks just like a regular cash dispenser, but this is India's first ever "gold ATM", delivering gold coins at the click of a button in a country where gold is often seen as a safe and preferred investment. Set up in...
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti has released NVS Answer Key 2022 for TGT posts. Candidates who have appeared for the TGT direct examination can download the answer key through the official site of NVS at navodaya.gov.in.The Computer Based Test will be conducted from...
The opposition AIADMK has postponed the party's protest programmes scheduled from December 9 to 16 in the wake of Cyclone Mandous, which, according to the weather forecast, is likely to hit Tamil Nadu on Friday. The AIADMK had planned a series...